"Wherever you go, there you are."
Maybe you have created tremendous personal momentum. Can you do this somewhere else on the planet? What’s stopping you? We absolutely love dreamers, and generally "the bigger the better". However establishing a new life in a foreign country can be daunting. For the most part, you will not be provided subtitles. Some of your current lifestyle and planning habits will translate perfectly. Other parts of your financial life will need to be adapted or entirely rewritten.
Why Financial Planning is Crucial for Expats
Cross Border Financial Planning has its own distinct knowledge base. When planning for the immigration process, its helpful to think in terms of stages:
- Pre-Move Planning: Get a head start on planning. Early issues to identify include understanding a good understanding of the immigration process and key steps, banking and cash management, and understanding how education standards and even employment opportunity may factor into long term career planning for younger members of the family.
- Acclimation: Real Estate decisions, putting together a Worldwide Tax strategy, and understanding treatment of US/Non-US compensation arrangements.
- Global Financial Integration: Long-term Immigration planning involves tying your world together; coordination and allocation of worldwide assets, global and tax planning, and managing remote assets.
- Independence & Retirement: Charitable gifting, social security income, Medicare and estate planning may involve new wrinkles because of changes in residency.
- Expatriation: A change in citizenship carries major consequences. Identify and evaluate these matters against the context of your broader financial plan and family goals.
- Cultural Issues and More: Anyone can buy a one-way ticket from the relative comfort and safety of a long-time home. Longer term, there is more to it: how do you navigate new waters and keep your eyes fixed on your personal big picture?
We are Americans with significant expat experience in these areas. With the formal US based training, deep resources and knowledge in both the US and European systems, you can be assured that we will develop a personalized strategy for you that is both clear, but adaptive to your life, wherever it may take you.